Friday, 7 October 2011

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Until recently, I was unfamiliar with who Steve Jobs was. It wasn't until a year ago that I watched his commencement address to Stanford's class of 2005. After watching it I felt refreshed and hopeful about my future. I admire him for what he has accomplished, but more importantly, I will always remember him for inspiration.

His message is simple. Do what you love. Don't settle until you find it. Do what inspires you. Believe in yourself. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.

I am lucky because I have found what I love to do, and fortunately, I am following that path currently. But it wasn't always this way. When I was in high school and university I had no idea what I wanted to do. I liked so many different things. I realized I had to consider the difference between like and love.  

I remember reading a paper about an economical point of view for choosing a career. It said that everyone is better off if you choose to do what you love. You would enjoy your life, you would be good at what you did, and you would increase the happiness of those around you. It was a "Pareto optimal" situation. Meaning no one could be better off without making someone else worse off. I think Steve Jobs was getting at the same thing, suggesting that true happiness comes from that.   

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."

The link below is the address to Stanford I mentioned earlier. If you haven't seen it yet, I ask you to check it out. If you have seen it, watch it again anyway. You won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment