Thursday, 22 March 2012

Amazing Collaboration in My Placement

I am finding that collaboration is contagious and that it increases over time (given the right people and environment). I haven't blogged lately, partly due to being really busy, but I felt compelled to share my experience in my current teaching block. I am teaching in Canada, in what is suppose to be a very difficult job market. Most people would normally think that because the market is tough, everyone is competing, and needs to rise above the others, and this leads to selfishness among practitioners in the hopes that they will be recognized before their peers. Not only is this bad practice and harmful toward the school community, but it's poor leadership.

I am so happy to be working with two other teacher-candidates from Brock University in my placement that are as willing to share information and ideas as I am. Everyday we talk about ways in which we can help each other out, whether it's being coached to use a new form of technology, borrowing a daybook or lesson plans, sharing test ideas, planning field trips, or assisting each other with intramurals... It makes teaching as a profession an even better experience. I find that as we collaborate and help each other out, we benefit as teacher-candidates, the students benefit in their experience, the teachers get to see and learn new techniques, and the community at large is a better place.


3 comments:

  1. Ecstatic to hear that's working for you and I want to know how you've brought yourselves together. I often find I'll float around doing my own thing unless otherwise directed or drawn by something - how have you managed to make this happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach,
    This is such an inspiring blog entry to read. The synergy that comes from a collaborative enterprise is priceless but also contagious. Conider sharing with your students any strategy or idea that emerges from such team effort. It is a great authentic model for your students to see that the teaching community does work together and that there is ongoing communication. "It takes a village to educate children".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John and Giselle. Initially this happened in the staffroom, but was facilitated by an ongoing productive school community. During nutrition breaks, the discussions in the staffroom are usually about improving the student experience and achievement. I find the staffroom to be a very motivating environment in this school, and that it is a result of a positive staff. Although we (teacher-candidates) don't get to see each other very often, we simply ask each other how things are going and offer to help out. The gesture is reciprocated and the collaboration begins. After that we basically become a team.

    ReplyDelete